Called Korea Home

From: Sunday, 28 December 2008
To: Thursday, 10 October 2013
For 1748 days
Or 4 years, 9 months, 13 days
Or 249 weeks and 5 days

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Quick Update: Travel - 40 days left



Travelling is on my mind. I have about 40 days before I embark on the adventure of a lifetime.



I can already imagine myself on the beaches.

As you can imagine, that is enough to fill me with panic (not the beaches, the planning). Not only do I have to get everything ready on this end, but the adrenaline and anticipation have caused me to become overly reactive, hyper and unable to sleep more than 3 hours a night (wait, none of that is new).

Getting ready to embark on a 3 month journey calls for lots of preparation and planning. It's not for the faint-hearted. I mean, think of all the things that could go wrong. Wait. Don't. That would lead to a panic attack.

Add to that the escalating chaos going on in Bangkok and I am a nervous wreck. But I am pretty excited. Actually I can't wait. May 28 is my last day of work, then I have time to rest and really plan before the big trip. (June 15 - August 27 but I may change my ticket and leave earlier.)

Not that I haven't been planning already. I've had a lonely planet guide for months, and I've been a member of travbuddy for longer than that. I'll be traveling with a bunch of Brits. Should be exciting. But in the meantime I need stuff to do to keep my mind off it. A bunch of festivals, a few trips and lots of nights on the town should do the trick.

Anyways - need some advice on starting a trip? Check out roam the world, for estimating initial travel costs - invaluable. Need to make some friends to travel with or show you the local secrets? Check out travbuddy. Should you need a place to stay, you can try couchsurfing or one of numerous hostels. Useful (free) guides are provided on wikitravel and plenty of tips for packing, more packing, and even more packing are all over the web.

Things I'm planning on taking :
  • 1 backpack - with clothes and toiletries
  • Passport + copies, money
  • Camera, ipod, lonely planet, some books, usb key/memory card.
I'm going to buy this backpack set from travelmate,a korean company
That's it - that's all I'll use for 3 months (Yikes). It frightens me that my life will be reduce to one bag, but it excites me as well.

Wish me luck. All the stress will be worth it for bliss... and this

P.S this post was in part inspired by my Korean friend/Language exchange partner Jean - who will be heading on a 6 month backpacking trip (gasp even braver than I - less English skill/longer trip).


5 comments:

Breda said...

I can't believe you're leaving so soon! And what are you gonna do with the rest of your stuff? :)

lunknot said...

Admirable... :) I hope to backpack one day. Update your blog if you can, i'd enjoy reading about your adventures.

Norma said...

Breda: I'll be back after that. I love Korea a little to much and I have to make back all the money I spend. As for my stuff, that's part of what has me freaking out. I am trying to sublet my place. Any suggestions?

Lunknot: Thanks for reading my blog. I will definitely keep you posted, and when I get back to Korea let me know if you ever need help/want to meet up/etc. Best of luck with the planning (i checked out your blog) :)

lunknot said...

Yay!! Awesome! hahaha thanks for checking out my blog, it's certainly a work in progress. I'm still waiting to get my E2. I read about your trip to Pocheon. LOL. I'll be somewhere in the boonies... I had no idea there was an African museum in soko, O.O, so cool! and that got me thinking... I've learned a lot about Korea from blogs (some are very scary) but it would be best to reserve judgment/fears/expectations for when I get there and also use common sense.

Jessie said...

Hostels are the least expensive type of lodging around the world.


La Rocca Hostels