Called Korea Home

From: Sunday, 28 December 2008
To: Thursday, 10 October 2013
For 1748 days
Or 4 years, 9 months, 13 days
Or 249 weeks and 5 days

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Review: Yaletown, A Love Affair

It's my first restaurant review. How exciting!!! As you can tell from the title, I am madly in-love with this place and I'll tell you why.


photo credit: http://3.bp.blogspot.com

I first happened to go into Yaletown because a friend of mine invited me to come along for a birthday party. Right off the bat I really liked the atmosphere. It seemed very laid back, and not overly crowded, but maybe that's because it's new. There is a large projector and another TV from which local sports and/or music plays, and a computer to check facebook.

But I digress. If you want to go here, it was probably for the food, so let's get right to it. Like I said it was a birthday party, so the hostess just ordered a massive array of food. As a result, I got to try most of the food on the menu. Let me break it down for you

The burgers: Delicious. I tried several types. All very moist and delicious. I had the egg burger which I really liked, as well as the BBQ burger, the mozza burger and the American. I think I remember the Hawaiian burger being a bit too sweet, but overall the burgers were amazing. And the best part is, order a burger and you get unlimited curly fries. Yep you heard me right Unlimited curly fries. UNLIMITED CURLY FRIES. You had me at fries. The fries were also well seasoned, and never ending. I mean never. Someone showed up every few seconds to make sure.

The Nachos: I just tried one. They looked ok, and tasted ok but to put it nicely, Yaletown isn't a Mexican restaurant. In other words, this isn't their specialty. One plus, I do hear they make their own guacamole. That's awesome (actually I heard they make their own everything)

The wings: these were also ok, again not a specialty. The buffalo wings were not exceptionally hot but they were not sweet like Korean wings. Also they had a different flavor (looked like a cross between buffalo sauce and mayo - it was orange). Those weren't too bad either


Ironically, that night I didn't get to try the two best things on the menu, the sliders and poutine. That came on another trip back when my friend and I created a random pub crawl.

The Poutine

If you've never had poutine before, it's a Canadian specialty -gravy and cheese curds over fries. I've only had it 2x, once in Montreal and once here, personally I don't know what the obsession is, it's a combo I'd have never thought of, but this one was good, and my Canadian buddy agreed. The gravy was amazing. That's really what made the dish. I'd dribble that gravy on anything.


Our Sliders

Not without merit are they on the top 10 best burgers in Seoul. The seasoning of the patties is amazing. Three little cutie pies with just cheese. You can really get the true flavor. I had a great meal.

Lastly, but often as important, the service was great. Someone was always checking up on us to make sure we were ok, cleaning up empty dishes, and refilling the fries. It was great.

Yaletown food menu (click to enlarge)

+ Standard drink menu - beers, cocktails etc (not pictured)

Specials at Yaletown (click to enlarge)

They've got fun game nights, wii and beer-pong, etc.

So stop by soon and taste the goodness :) And let me know what you think.

  • About Yaletown: From what I can tell it is owned by a couple of Kyopos (Korean born abroad, in this case Korean-Canadian) from Vancouver. As such the staff speaks excellent English.
  • Location:Yaletown is close to Sinchon station.
  • Directions: Get out at the "new exit" at Sinchon station which is on line 2, I think towards the- U-Plex, Yonsei Exit, close to exit 7 and 8. Once you surface, walk straight towards the intersection, and then make a left. Walk for about 3-5 minutes, until you see a beans and berry, on the left side. Make a left in the alleyway, and it should be to you left almost immediately. It's on the 3rd floor.
  • Contact: yaletown.seoul@gmail.com or search for them on facebook (I believe they have a page).
p.s. A disclaimer: I am not being paid to do this, I just choose to. Hence all of the above is solely my opinion, and mine alone.

No comments: