Called Korea Home

From: Sunday, 28 December 2008
To: Thursday, 10 October 2013
For 1748 days
Or 4 years, 9 months, 13 days
Or 249 weeks and 5 days

Saturday, March 20, 2010

New Term Again


modelling the hats I bought for my nieces - but this is normal in Korea (for adults to wear I mean)

It's my last term before my term break. I can't wait. As you may already know I'll be exploring SE Asia for 2.5 months. I'm ready to get away for a bit. The novelty of Korea has worn off. I want more. I kind of wish I'd taken one this term.

Anyways, last term was a good one for me. At the beginning I had to have a talk with my boss to try to convince him I could teach more challenging classes. It was driving me insane that my potential wasn't being tapped. So I finally convinced him to give me higher level, and he did. It turned out I had great classes. The students were some of the best I'd ever had. I had so much fun with them that they loved me. I ended up getting my highest scores ever including being ranked above all other teachings for reading/listening, but my memory score brought me down to number 6 in student survey rankings (punks) and I ended up in the top 5 ranking (for the term).


random end of term pic: bowling tourney from heck

This term I am teaching Master's reading, Alba and Birdie listening, and Memory (Tera). It's cool to now be the one other teachers ask for advice on how to do things. We've got an extensive sharing network going on which is great. A lot of people dread teaching master's reading but I love to read so most of it is no extra work for me. The most stressful part is grading the online essays but we get paid extra so it's all good. I think I've become both meaner and more nonchalant this term though. I've already mentally checked out

In other news I got my taekwondo yellow belt finally. I am a happy woman. I want to go all the way as high as I can in Korea. Feasibly I can get my blue belt before my trip, and black belt before I leave Korea permanently. This is my plan.

Language exchange also going well, I now have random conversations all the time, I can say I have much improved. I've been trying to get out more now that most of my friends have left it's hard to start all over again but I am trying :(

I am just going to keep everything jam-packed so that before I know it, my trip will be here

No comments: