Called Korea Home

From: Sunday, 28 December 2008
To: Thursday, 10 October 2013
For 1748 days
Or 4 years, 9 months, 13 days
Or 249 weeks and 5 days

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Down to the Nitty-Gritty: Questions on Race, Money, Dating and Korean

Hi K
I dropped you a quick inquiry about teaching in Korea yesterday. Then I checked out your 2 "important posts", Why u chose Korea & How to Begin Teaching. Makes my initial vague probe null n void.

A couple of specific questions:

1) Any specific experience with racism and/or ignorance? Any impressions you can share?
I'm black. I've traveled extensively and in some places I've met people who've never seen a real live black person before, not even on tv. In some places I've met people who think black people are exactly as seen on tv. Mileage may vary. So, as an Af Am, I'm interested in your perspective.

2) I don't want to pursue the experience unless I can support myself and save money. If one is frugal: modest (but not impoverished) accommodations, eating/going out once a week, weekend trips maybe once every other month....What % of income can be saved on a monthly basis? If you don't mind being blunt, how much in USD can I expect to save monthly?

3) How's the dating? Receptive to dating foreigners? Are the men as short and diminutive as I imagine? I'm 5'8 and suspect I might be an Amazon.

4) How's your Korean? You have enough cash to take Korean lessons and save?


Cheers
S
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear S,

I'm glad to know the earlier posts could help. Let's get right to it and answer these questions.

1. I wouldn't say I've ever dealt with blatant racism (well except actually from a few white people here, weird) from any koreans, but I do witness much ignorance on a daily basis. Coming from such a diverse society, we don't really realize what homogeneity can do to a country. For example, there are the people who believe exactly what they see on TV, there have been the random "yo, yo, what up man" etc. I've seen kids cry and run away, or heard them yell african at americans etc. I've had people say to me, they'd love to be friends with a black girl, or even date a black girl, or a black person was nice to me when I went to the states... etc. Silly stuff, but nothing too hurtful. They may say stuff in Korean, but I've never noticed anything towards minorities in particular, it's usually against all foreigners. Now, keep in mind I live in Seoul, the place most accustomed to other backgrounds. I've heard of horror stories from people who live out in the boonies, but for the most part, I've mostly encountered a friendly curiousity from the locals. The funniest thing about this is, the people who complain most about racism appear to be caucasian, which leads me to wonder if I am thickskinned because I've faced much worse at home, and again as I said before, the three racial incidents I witnessed involved caucasians and not any asians. I googled racism in SK to see what I could find. I liked this the best (Racism and Stereotypes in Korea)

2. Yes, Yes you can save money. That's why I picked Korea. The pay is great and the cost of living is cheap. How much you can save is up to the frugality of the individual but I've heard people save up to 40-50%. Again, some people have saved about $10,000 by the end of the year, but they would probably be the people who never travel or do much outside of work and free activities (there are plenty of those). I love to travel, so it's been a bit harder. But it can be done.

3. There are different reasons why Korean men approach foreign women. The one I encounter most is curiousity. I've been told I look exotic on more than 1 occasion, not like anything most men have seen before here. Usually they are conversational in English. The ones that don't speak well will never approach you. Often they would like to practice English and/or to take you out on dates. I went on a couple of dates with a Korean guy, and it was a different experience. In fact, he was almost too clingy. He called all the time, texted etc. Showed up near my home one time. I later learned that's what korean women want? I don't know. But don't worry men will approach you, especially out and about in Itaewon. Some of the men are short, but we are the same height don't worry they have some tall guys out here. This person blogs about her experience here (Dating Korean guy in Korea)

4. My Korean is lower-intermediate maybe? I took a beginners class to really get the basics down, and now I study on my own and have 2 language exchange partners that help me out while I help them with English. I can read basic novels etc. I'm usually afraid to speak (judgment) but I understand more than I know. It's a hard language. The alphabet is easy but thats about it. If you know any foreign languages like japanese though you'll have an easier time learning this one because sentence structure is the same. Classes can run anywhere from $200-$1000/ month, or you can find someone to help you out for free in exchange for english lessons. I always freak out when I'm not understood at first but someone told me that it's not my pronunciation, but usually shock that I spoke the native language, that causes delayed reaction to my sentences. Anyways, it's possible. I talk about language a bit on my blog here and I also recommend koreanclass101 for lessons online (you could always buy some cds etc as well) and watch youtube and korean dramas (mysoju.com)

Hope it's all been helpful
Let me know if you decide to come
Best of luck, whatever your decision
Karamel :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other thoughts?

1 comment:

snowmon said...

"The funniest thing about this is, the people who complain most about racism appear to be caucasian"

It's not racism, your Caucasian friends are just whining because they've never been "minorities" ever in their life time until they came to Korea. Unlike Asian, African, Hispanic-Americans who face stereotypes everyday in Western countries.

White kids always used to make fun of this Asian kid in my High school and when verge of getting in a fight with the Asian kid the white kid said "Lighten up bro, it's a joke!" It's only funny when you're not in the receiving end, they're just realizing that in Korea.