Called Korea Home

From: Sunday, 28 December 2008
To: Thursday, 10 October 2013
For 1748 days
Or 4 years, 9 months, 13 days
Or 249 weeks and 5 days

Monday, April 5, 2010

Evacuate the Dance floor...



I've been having a lot of good times lately.

Meetup/Hongdae Night:
So one interesting way to meet new people when you get over 21 and are no longer in college is to join groups that organize events, show up and hope that everyone is not crazy. I heard about the website meetup(www.meetup.com) back when I was moving home to Atlanta, and I went to a few events then. So I decided to join it when I came to Seoul. I've been to a few events since then, and yes, sometimes the people were absolutely weird. But then I joined this new group Seoulite run by Breda (blog here)


Anyways, since I've been really bored lately and my close friends are not as adventurous as I, I decided to check it out. We started off meeting at Hyehwa station (Daehangno) where there was awkward chatting/intros (hate this part). Then we sat at random tables. The food was pretty good the restaurant is buffet style. The name is China Factory. Afterwards we went to find a place to drink, and that was when the "younger" girls I had been chatting with decided to go to Hongdae instead. So I went from a night with complete strangers, that was supposed to be just dinner, to dancing on table tops with friends. Great success because I've hung out with these girls since :).


St. Patrick's Day:
Also known as the day of the yellow dust....Ok not really but the sky was dark and cold. The Irish association of Korea held a parade/festival downtown, but I was lazy and didn't get there until the end. I got to hear a U2 cover band and drink some free guinness.
with a giant guinness


Then I went to this all you can eat Irish buffet/Hooley - for W50,000 you can eat food and drink guiness - unlimited. it was fun, but the place was packed and I was with the Seoulite group.

spot the karamel :)

My friends were also supposed to come and have a going away party there but then they pick another bar - so I checked that out and meant to go back, but ended up dancing the night away at NB in gangnam. NB is a hip-hop club so if you ever need a fix... (there's one in Hongdae as well, but way too crowded).


Club Day:
I've been dying to go to club day since I got here. It's the last friday of every month, but for some reason I've always been busy. My buddy J. was only in town one more day so I had to get it in. I was so glad he was here because another chick supposed to go with me flaked.
Anyways I got off work and 10 pm and headed down there. In case you don't know club day is a day when you can get into about 21 clubs for W20,000. It includes one free drink, and there are live performances at some of these places. Imagine you'd pay W10,000 to get into 1 club, then this is a steal.

Because I got off work so late, we decided to check out the last live special performance at club ff. The name of the band was "The Moonshiners"
crowd goes wild

I'd never heard of them before. In Korea, all they play is pop, so rockabilly was a refreshing change. I love them. Here is a youtube vid with one of my songs. The front man really is a rockstar!!!



Afterwards we just wandered around the rest of the clubs until we got tired. We went to five clubs in total and had an awesome time.


J unleashed some dance moves I'd never seen, but he was already in vacay mode. Then we went to the awesome red tent down the street - same street as Jane's Groove, for some haemultang and kimchijeon. This place has great food, it's just a tent, with a wait...Anyways, I'd recommend going if you are around.

haemultang and kimchijeon


On the way home:

Daylight on the other side
p.s don't stalk me

China Factory: Hyehwa Line 4, exit 1, walk about 5 -7 minutes to your left you should see a building with other restaurants including pizza hut, it's own the 3rd floor. You can't miss it, because afterwards, is nothingness...

The places we went to in Hongdae were bungalow (across the street from ff - a laid back bar that has sand and you sit on floors) and tin-pan (on the main street past 7/11 : if you pay entrance fee for 1 you get a free drink and entrance to tin-pan 2 and tin-pan euro as well - they play a variety of music, hip-hop, rock and of course in euro - electronica)

NB: To get here go to Gangnam Line 2, Exit 5, and walk to the end of the strip. W20,000 Entrance gets you into NB and Harlem, or just one for half the price + free drink.

Club Day: Every last friday of the month, various clubs in Hongdae (Hongik University, Line 2, Exit 5 - sold at club doors or booths around the area). Also, a note about tickets we bought them near the hongdae gate but there are many places allover you can get them from.

Club day map

3 comments:

NotJustAPrettyFace said...

Sounds like you had a blast. Hongdae is always a good time with the right friends and decent music.

Unknown said...

whew! whirlwind update. awesome pics & info!

Norma said...

Thanks
Yeah Hongdae is a blast.
I'll be doing a couple whirlwind updates until I catch up, but I'm going to stay home more and blog during iBT (shh don't tell my boss)