Called Korea Home

From: Sunday, 28 December 2008
To: Thursday, 10 October 2013
For 1748 days
Or 4 years, 9 months, 13 days
Or 249 weeks and 5 days

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Welcome to the Good Life


It feels like Atlanta, it feels like NY, summertime Chi, ...and Seoul.

I am having a great time here. I can't believe I almost didn't come and for the most asinine reasons. I realize its been a long time since I wrote, so I am going to try to catch you up...


1. Teaching: It gets easier the more you do it. Once you get comfortable with class structure you can be as creative as you wanna be. I love most of my kids except for my middle school reading class, they are little monsters... I dance sing and generally clown myself in class and for the most part my kids love it. Generally I'm an easy going teacher anyways. We love jammin' to k-pop. i think i am addicted

2.Family: I do miss my nieces a lot. I got to webcam with them the other day. I have the cutest nieces ever.... Tantie loves you girls... I think of you always. and my sis got married. the official wedding will be in naija sometime. have to go

3. Holy Shenanigans: Saint Patrick's Day was a riot. We made our own event the Tuesday night since most of us worked Saturday and missed the parade. After work (well not for me-my day off) we headed down to Kondae (short for konkuk dae hakyo -or in English konkuk university). We went to this supposedly Irish bar... nothing. so we set about ordering whiskey. among the more memorable of events were 5 bottles of whiskey, free shots and food, broken glasses, and bottles thrown out the window. and there is no better way to end a drunken night that at the noraebang (karaoke). When we left the sun was up, and I had to teach... ugh


4.Insanity weekend: there is one weekend that must be titled that because I don't believe I slept at all that wknd. I prepped my classes in advance because I knew we would be going out that weekend. It all began with one of my coworker Xiao's going away party. Dinner was pleasant, and then we went to monkey beach - oh buckets and shades - it was a nasty night.... we topped it off with norebang but when someone handed me a shot of soju- blackout.
I don't remember getting home. All I remember is waking up the next day still being drunk and having to teach. Then, we went to the battle of the bands finale. Again a fun night, more drinks but this time less so... because I had to wake up for...

5. JOHN LEGEND: Live in Seoul - Yes, this was the same weekend as insanity weekend, but my baby daddy came to Seoul. Man we were jammin' the whole concert, and this hot Korean rapper sang with him, and I didn't want it to end. My student was there and I met his mom. I also had awesome company and kicked back a couple of beers. We stalked him afterward and got to see him leave. I love him


6. Hweshik: The next weekend was hweshik. In Korean culture it is customary to drink with coworkers after work. also can't decline the boss. and our company pays for it. luckily our boss is western so actually a bit tame. anyways it was another wild night for the junggye family - soju, samsachun, and maekju (beer) flowing everywhere. another wild night i don't remember much about except falling off tables and breaking glasses, and it was here that I swore off soju in its concentrated form

7. Work and Play: Lately at work I've turned into a subbing monster. Mostly because I can't say no, and I like money, and kids, and not doing nothing, which is boring. but that means some weeks I've had no time off. its good for my bank account.Especially since the next two weeks are extensions, meaning middle school exams, so all middle school classes are cancelled and we don't get paid. My night life revolves around nights in Nowon, Apgu, Itaewon or Hongdae. No matter where its always a good time...


8. Korean class: I began taking a Korean class and everyone is impressed at how much I've picked up. It was just an introductory class but now I want something more intense. I can make out what my kids are saying based on a few words and context, and the other day my faux-rean buddy (he's Korean Canadian) asked me how to say a word. Sweet. Watch out...

9. Springtime: Is a time for fun, happiness, and excitement, and I want it all. I went to Lotte world the other day and that was so much fun. Also love this himalyan place in Dongmyo, I had some yummy naan and kheer there. I also had Nigerian food: pounded yam and egusi - in Itaewon. mmm I also had a 3 month belated surprise birthday party thrown for me.

I am so happy

10. Upcoming Events: things to look out for as it gets warmer
- Buddha's birthday and lantern parade
- Hi Seoul festival
- Karamel explores the rest of Korea (Incheon, Busan, Suwon, Jeju etc)
- Mud fest 2009 is gonna be hot
- I want to volunteer too
- Other useful activities like Korean class or dance
- Summer vacation in the Philippines (I already bought my ticket)
- Other travel adventures (plans pending)
SPRING IS HERE

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that about sums it up. where did february and march go?!