Called Korea Home

From: Sunday, 28 December 2008
To: Thursday, 10 October 2013
For 1748 days
Or 4 years, 9 months, 13 days
Or 249 weeks and 5 days

Monday, February 9, 2009

Random observations of a stranger in Seoul:

First of all, another fun weekend was had, this time with less sickness/more hijinks. Friday hit up the regular spot in itty - Gecko's with the usual crew (below). Saturday I hit up this fun club called Monkey Beach in apgu, ran into some peeps from training. I'm beginning to realise that huge as Seoul is, there are only so many foreigners. keep going to the same spots and you're going to start running into the same people over, and over, and over...

I partied with the brits and South Africans and I’d have to say, not bad… Each night I stayed out till the train started running again. Hard core. Monkey beach is fun. Liquor in buckets and I have a crush on one of the Korean worker’s there now, but either he thought I was crazy or is really shy. Did I mention I love accents? I like it when non-Americans say my name. Is this like some kinky fetish…? I have no pictures because well, too much fun means you forget these things. But it’s all good. Here's one that was taken

I finally have my arc card as proof I can be here, so now I can do anything. Except drugs. No drugs in Asia. Bad idea!! And potential Korean stalkers, unless all the Korean guys I meet are needy. And as I said before, every other ethnicity imaginable. Holla. and my Korean language exchange is going well, I read very slowly but the vowels are still hard for me, oh and the n and k/g letters i always mix. i bought some books. I'm serious about this. skills for any international job i will acquire. that is the only way i will live in the U.S. with a job that send me abroad often. but i digress

So I wrote an interesting post about future plans for Korea and the like in my other blog (click here to read it). I hope it all works out.

Now for the main topic
I would like to state that none of these statements are meant/intended to be derogatory. They are just statements of cultural differences. Therefore, if I was born in Korea, I’d be this way too… Some of these things do bother me, but for the most part I love Korea.

So first, on the type of foreigner who moves to Korea

  • Genuinely interested in learning about Korea, a new culture and way of life. Usually this category is of Korean descent or has some close ties to have made them pick Korea in the first place. So Koreans born abroad, or adopted, or genuine strong interest in the culture from a childhood friend, or studying etc... This category is not mutually exclusive from the 2nd, but I will say in this group they are more likely to not just be looking for an insanely wild time...


  • the lost soul i call it. person who is trying to figure out what they want to do with themselves. did the research on an all expenses paid vacay to Seoul, may have toyed with japan and/or china as well, or have already been to the others, intrigued by great pay in Korea, could be fresh out of college or 40. doesn't matter. for most a crossroad of sorts, some fall in love (with the country and/or a person)and never leave but most will, once they know what to do next. Usually this group contains the party animals and wild children as well...



Next, what I've observed about Korean culture so far in no particular order

  1. Korean kids are oddly fascinated with death, but not just that, gruesome and morbid. and my kids love to creep me out.

  2. when they get to middle school, they are painfully shy at least in English. it frustrates them when they cannot speak.

  3. Kim chi really is eaten with every meal, and i mean every. dude I've ordered pizza hut and got a side of pickles. but keep in mind there are many different kinds of kimchi, not just the most famous (cabbage) one. So far I like the onions, cabbage is cool, and I love the radish kind... mmm


  4. I'm not sure why excuse me exists in Korean. no one ever says it. they just push past you. sometimes when I'm having a bad day i want to say excuse you biotch, but then i realize they won't understand me anyways.

  5. they like it sweet. and i mean everything. i mean i like sweet but my apple juice tastes like very sugary flavored apple water... i can't wait to go to Costco's for American AJ. on the flip though, i love the strawberry milk

  6. Ajumma (translation married woman) is really just code for when you reach 50, chop off your hair, perm it (for curls) put on pants that are way too short and brush past everyone with your cronies, oh and squatting required.


  7. chew with the mouth open. this one is hard for me as all cultured westerners shut there's, but I'm getting over it...

  8. Koreans think their food is too spicy for westerners (waegooks) to handle. some, i guess. Korean food is a sweet spicy, which has its own inbuilt counter balance. Now hot spicy, like Thai or Nigerian... whew.
    ddukbokki (common street food- I love it)

  9. have no shame in staring. especially at me. even if i stare back, and smile. eyes never falter.

  10. the dudes (and women) love their soju a lot.drinking is mandatory with dinner. rude to say no. ajoshis (old men) get drunk, and lots of vomiting in the streets.

  11. japan is very orderly. Korea is not... lines mean nothing, people cut, do not stand to the side on escalators etc...

  12. coffee (kopee) is a big freakin deal here. dude on every corner often the same store, two stories, and they drink it through the stirrer thingy. so weird.

    even dunkin' is trendy


  13. dudes love to rock the hoodie and jacket, or skinny jeans. chicks have mastered the art of the sweater dress, preferably with hoodie, and mini skirts in winter. at least they can wear heels and don't clonk in them like Japanese women do. that was annoying

  14. konglish is the funniest thing ever. i swear. its even funnier when you can read Hangul. speaking of which, they also wear shirts with weirdly translated English or other bad stuff on it. i guess like we do with Chinese characters.

  15. the cell phone obsession is a little much, stuff hanging off it, everything from dictionaries to subway maps (awesome) to T.V. and games keep them occupied 24/7




okay I will stop here, I'm sure there will be more for part 2. and like i said before, I freakin' love Seoul, so no hard feelings, k?

3 comments:

Bombchell said...

WOW!!!!

that word sums it up. every number's crazy!

lol at first i read the dunking donuts thing, as everything dunkin is trendy even the dunkin hoodies etc.

the staring must be weird, someone told me NY or LA was like that.

XT said...

Great post!
And @#4, I firmly believe you should say it anyway. The fact that they can't understand you is probably for the best.

Anonymous said...

Love the blog! Keep it up!