Called Korea Home

From: Sunday, 28 December 2008
To: Thursday, 10 October 2013
For 1748 days
Or 4 years, 9 months, 13 days
Or 249 weeks and 5 days

Thursday, January 22, 2009

My life so far

So I'll give you a brief update on me. I am settling well into life here in Seoul. Apparently I am adapting really well for someone who just got here 3 weeks ago. I guess being outgoing, gregarious, and will to try new things never hurt anyone. My job is cool too apparently there can be drama, but I am going to do my best to avoid that. Oh and there may be a potential "something" blossoming. More on that some other time. Point is I like Seoul, I travel a lot and things are cheap. I moved into my house and though it is little more than a room with a washer/bathroom, I love it already. I sleep on a yo (Korean mattress) but I can't wait to get furniture. As far as the job I have on and off days but overall I hope I am improving as an administrator of edumecation. As the kids get more comfortable I do to. Still, it's difficult to arrive in the middle of the term and I can only look forward to starting my own classes’ fresh. Oh, and food. OMG. Every meal has like 20 side dishes included, including Kim chi!!! I'm getting so fat.
I will have to join a dance class or something soon, after I get Korean lessons going. I'm meeting with a language exchange buddy Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

I live in a city called Nowon and it's in northeastern Seoul, but it has so much to do, yet it is not in the heart of Englishville so I am forced to confront many things I may have avoided, such as being comfortable hopping on a bus with me and tons of Koreans, and yes, learning Koreans. So if the people say I'm adapting well, I guess I'm adapting well. I went to my first event in Itaewon, it was a talent show and simply amazing. I had Indian food afterwards. So good. I can have my escape whenever I need to in Itaewon which is why I chose Seoul over the boonies. I am navigating well, you learn to get by a lot by pictures, drawing, gesturing, and saying things really slowly. I bought groceries the other day, and I figured out the detergent by pictures, I didn't want to buy dishwashing soap you know. Some things I may need help though, so my first bill I will take to get interpreted for me, but I am proud to announce I successfully did my laundry the other day, even though my washing machine dials are in Korean. Every once in a while I feel a tinge for the things I miss, but most can be mailed to me, and my nieces, well, webcams will have to suffice. It's outweighed by the experience that being here and traveling and finding myself (yes I believe being here will force me to do that) can entail. Let's just say right now on the planning tip is 2 years in Korea, with lots of mass exploration of Asia, followed by more education, maybe in Australia, and dammit the urge really came over me to go to Costa Rica today, but that has to be after Bali and/or Phuket. Anyways, I'm good, all is well, Deuces....

2 comments:

Bombchell said...

lol will u ever come back to live here in the states

Norma said...

mmwahaha. we'll see