Called Korea Home

From: Sunday, 28 December 2008
To: Thursday, 10 October 2013
For 1748 days
Or 4 years, 9 months, 13 days
Or 249 weeks and 5 days

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Kamsahanida very much

So I woke up on my birthday morning to a call from the parents… I thought that was rather sweet of them. I went back to sleep and then go ready to go to work. I heading on the train full of apprehension. It wasn't a short trip.
When I got off the train station I was supposed to take a bus but I ended up freaking out about how I could pay or not and so I took a cab there. Luckily I met someone who realized I was looking for CDI because she worked there, and that made it all so much easier. My coworkers all seem really chill and laid back, exactly the kind of people I'd expect to drop everything and move to a foreign country. we're all out here to experience life and have a good time and making a difference in the life of a child doesn't hurt at all.

I was given speed training on a subject that it had taken my coworkers 1 week to learn. and introduced to a whole bunch of other groups of things. here's to hoping I can be a good teacher. My branch manager seems pretty freakin' cool, all in all i think I'm going to love working at the junggye branch. now if i could just figure out where to live. CCTV is creepy though, we watched peoples performances and all i have to say is that i better not have a bad day... i'm kind of nervous, i will be teaching 3 classes, memory English, interactive reading and iBT test prep.... the education of these kiddies are in my hands... eeek'

After I informed them that I was actually in on my birthday they offered to take me out later in the week. i mean how can i not love this group already. oh so also it was really cool i'd been reading this girl's blog and she works at my school... it's like meeting a celebrity. I hope people like my blogs.

Junggye was a little bit from the central part of Seoul, it'd be like the queens to Manhattan i think. you can also tell they see less foreigners there because people kept turning to stare. i liked it actually. i just smile politely and sometimes they smile back.

I got home and was totally intending to have a quiet night prepping for my first class tomorrow. but no, my Aussie buddy said i wasn't allowed to stay in for my birthday, so we headed out to this Japanese restaurant he's been wanting to go to. he used to live in japan so it's still near and dear to his heart and well, you all know about me and japan.... anyways we got some karage and potato fries and okoremiyagi (i'm sure i spelt that wrong) and plenty of sake and asahi. after i and the aussie argued over tater tots (what we say in the states) vs potato gems (aussies- lame)... we like to argue over who is cooler but he knows i secretly adore Australians.... anyways needless to say after kicking back all of that we were pretty much singing in the street etc. that's the way a birthday should end ;) but all i know is, I'm blaming him for any bad performance I give today...

OK so now I have to try to find housing, get a phone, open a bank account and get my alien registration card, so i need to be out ...

No comments: