Called Korea Home

From: Sunday, 28 December 2008
To: Thursday, 10 October 2013
For 1748 days
Or 4 years, 9 months, 13 days
Or 249 weeks and 5 days

Friday, December 26, 2008

Saying goodbye

Wasn’t even really hard. I guess I’d already detached myself from America. That’s not to say I won’t miss everyone, but I’ve been ready to be out for a minute.


It comes easy to me I guess. Just up and detaching. Starting afresh. Distancing myself when I need too. It’s what a diplomat’s kid does. You arrive in new country, meet new friends and when the time is done, leave. If you’re lucky you may hear from them again. I wonder if people are as screwed up with personal relationships as I. It wasn’t traumatizing, just different. It makes it easy for me to not get too sentimental when I have to get up and go. Especially from the States. For Pete’s sake it’s so boring. It helped that I made sure no one came to the airport with me (I’m weird but I didn’t want the crying). And when people tried to cry previously, I asked them to hold the waterworks. In fact my only concern was that my nieces would forget me, and I’ve told my sisters to point to a picture of me everyday and we’ll webcam it up. It’s not as if I am leaving forever. I will see these people again, which is more than I can say for some people I’ve known in my lifetime. Atlanta has become my home base, so I will be back for visits and the like. I am sadder when I leave a place to which I know I will never return, but the US isn’t one of them. So chill out folks I’ll be back…
This is not to say it won’t all randomly hit me later, but I will keep you posted..;.

No comments: